Friday, January 4, 2008

A New Year, A New Start

**If you want to skip all the New Years reflections stuff there is knitting content at the end :-)**

Everyone always has profound things to say about New Years. I like to think of the New Year as a new start to get it right this time. When I look back there are always things that I might have done differently if I got the chance. For this year I don’t want to make resolutions. It seems like when you label it a resolution you are one step closer to failing. I always say that I want to get in shape or be a better person in some way. So this year I want to set some realistic goals for myself that are not just because of the New Year and will be ongoing beyond 2008. So here are my goals:

  1. As always, try to eat healthier and shed a few pounds. I am contemplating joining Weight Watchers Online. I have joined before and like the points system. I will incorporate my morning walk with Diana and try to get out more.
  2. The hubby and I are going to continue the process of becoming debt free with FPU. We finished the class in November and have been trying to get everything except our house paid off. We have paid off a couple of things but I don’t want to get discouraged because the last couple things take a while to pay off. Dave Ramsey is really motivating so I have been downloading his podcasts and listening to them whenever I need some encouragement.
  3. I need to get organized; the clutter is driving me crazy. Since we moved we haven’t been able to get everything in its place yet. We still have some painting to finish too. I really want to get the house and my desk at work organized. The work part won’t be too hard since my office is moving again. We are closing the business and moving our real estate “team” to another company nearby. It’s just to cut out the overhead costs for the owners.
  4. I would like to spend more quality date time with the hubby. Now that we have been married a couple years the baby conversation has popped up. We are going to wait a little while more but I want to enjoy the time we have as a couple while we wait since I know how hard it is to get out with a baby. Usually we just hang out at home together (and there’s nothing wrong with that) but I want to get out more.
  5. Lastly, I need to focus. I have a bad problem of getting distracted while I am working on something. If I really focus it gets done so much faster. I procrastinate a lot too so the combo really leaves me stressing about little things that definitely don’t need to be stressed about.
Wow, that turned out long but I needed to get it out, mostly for me. If I have it documented somewhere I can’t let myself off the hook. They’re pretty common goals but they are what I need in my life right now.

I haven’t been knitting as much as want lately but my wrist has been hurting a lot. I cleaned one of our rentals out last weekend for some extra cash and I think I may have hurt it then. It definitely feels better by now but it really limited my knitting for a couple of days. Plus the past couple of days have been COLD. The heater in my house needs to be fixed but it hasn’t been high on my list since we live in Florida. So we have no heat right now but we just bundle up. I couldn’t believe that I was too cold to knit. I would rather have my hands under the blanket so no knitting for the past two days.


When I did get knitting in I worked on the Baby hat some more. I keep telling myself I need to finish it soon. Hats usually take me no time to knit. I don’t think I will be starting any hats in fingering weight again. Geez…


So now that it is 2008 I realized that I have been knitting for a little over a year and crocheting a little longer than that but I definitely prefer knitting over crocheting. I never documented the first projects like I do now but I managed to get pictures of most of them. So out of all the knitting I have to say that I don't really have a favorite project. I have learned that I love to knit socks though. I always have to have a pair on the needles now.


Well that’s all I have for now. I will be spending the next week dog sitting again so I will have lots of time to knit. We’ll see how that goes…

I hope everyone had a fun and safe New Year!!


-Michele-

3 comments:

Kris B said...

Looks like you got a nice list of things to do for 2008. My list isn't that much different, get healthy and get organized are usually at the top for me ;).

You guys must be freezing! We never had a central air kind of heater in our house until now but we did at least have a small portable propane heater.

Do try and stay warm.

Patricia said...

I enjoyed your 2007 recap. I see that there is an FPU class starting in February in the T'ville area. Do you recommend it? I'm always one to organize!

Shawna said...

i couldn't believe how cold it got here last week! i have a cousin lives in alaska and it gets to more than 40 below zero! i would die:op