Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lots of Good News

I know everyone is saying this, but can you believe that it’s August, and -gasp- less than 5 months until Christmas? Where has the year gone? I just realized that next month will be one year since we bought our house. We aren’t even finished painting yet. What have we done with our time? The only thing that has not been flying past us is our debt snowball. We have been working hard to pay off all debt except the house and thanks to a couple of bonuses (including a certain stimulus check) we think we can be debt free by the end of the year. That is huge for us! We have had debt since the day we decided to get married. We walked into the bank and got a loan to pay off, and therefore combine, our debt and have been there ever since. I have been getting so excited as the months pass. I am even more excited to be able to go see Dave Ramsey, the inspiration for all this, in September for his Total Money Makeover seminar. Sadly, the hubby just found out he will be out of town that day. He really wanted to see Dave too....

Anyways, I have lots of good news today. I decided to take a stab at Alyson’s contest and guess how many skeins she sent to The Loopy Ewe. I was the closest number so I won! I will be getting the prized skein of merino/cashmere/nylon sportweight yarn soon. Yay! Thanks Alyson! Congrats on the success of your shop!

As promised, I have another FO to show off. This is the Calorimetry, aka the Kitty Warmer:


Calorimetry II
Yarn: Patons SWS in Natural Earth

Needles: 5.0mm Knit Picks Circular
Pattern: Calorimetry from Knitty Winter 2006
Date Finished: 7/19/2008

I only cast on 100 stitches this time and it turned out a bit snug. It still fits, but I would like it a bit looser. Like I really have a need for it in Florida anyway. So after casting off I threw it on Tipper and it fit/s him perfectly as a little kitty warmer. He didn’t mind having it on, but Jessie was not having it. When Tipper came home I was a bit worried that he would not feel at home. Jessie wanted nothing to do with him and he was terrified of Diana. He would hiss at her, and she would just bark more at him. Since then everyone has become friends. He wrestles and plays with Jessie (all night!) and is tolerating Diana. Diana did learn what a real cat is made of though, since Tipper is not declawed.

I have decided to frog the Kindness socks after only a few rows past the ribbing, even after all the trouble it took to cast on. I really didn’t like my gauge on them since the yarn is so thin. Since I have 4 balls, maybe I can make a shawl or something. I have never done lace before so that will be something new. Instead of those socks, I cast on for the Boobholder in some Malabrigo that came from SimpleChaos on Ravelry. I don’t know how you get 13 sts/in in worsted weight so I think I will have to adjust the pattern to fit. This is after ripping out and starting over once already. I really like the color, Azul Profundo, but of course I have no pics yet. Last night I decided I need another sock project that I can bring around with me so I tried to wind some Pagewood Farms sock yarn. Tried is the key word…I guess I shouldn’t have started winding at 9:30pm because I was really tired. I thought it was going to be quick but the yarn kept tangling. It was too small around for my swift so I had it around 2 candle jars but it was a mess. I had to wind from the other end by hand and keep untangling it. I was finally done over an hour later. Now I have 2 equal center pull balls for some Pomatomus Socks. I have not been having good luck with new patterns lately so we’ll see how this goes.

Thursday night is knit night again with the newly formed “Brevard’s Coffee Shop Knitters” group. We decided to start a Ravelry group since we were all sending messages to each other trying to get on the same page. It seems like this turned into a weekly thing too. I really like meeting up with the girls. It’s always fun and interesting. Hopefully I will have some socks cast on by then!

No comments: