Thursday, December 13, 2007

This Stinks

For the first time ever, I ordered some destash yarn. I got it from someone on Ravelry and I was so excited I couldn’t wait. The thought of buying perfectly good yarn at prices lower than new was something new for me. I got the yarn yesterday and while it is gorgeous something is a little off. It smells…not particularly bad, but it definitely has a smell to it. Almost like there was perfume sprayed on it. If it was a scent that I liked I might not have minded too much. I almost went and bought the other skein of AmiAmi that she lad listed but something told me to wait. Now the yarn is just fine but the smell made me rethink buying the second skein. Last night I sprayed it with febreeze and let it dry (I have done this with yarn before with nothing bad happening) and it still smells. I set it away from my stash (as not to contaminate the rest) and am going to let it air out. What else can I do?

So I finally have a FO for you. The Striped Socks are finally done and they MATCH! Here they are in all their glory:

Yarn: Lion Brand Magic Stripes

Needles: 3.0mm Knit Picks Circulars

Pattern: Basic Sock Pattern (Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles)

Pattern Designer: Cat Bordhi

Date Finished: 12/11/2007

I love them. I don’t know if I will eventually give them away, but for now they are mine. All mine! I haven’t cast on any new socks yet so I need to get on that. I will cast on at work tonight.

I got to pick up our Christmas cards yesterday. They turned out great. I used the picture of Diana with Santa for the card. I love that it was so easy and cheap to do. All I need to do now is address them and stamp them with these cute knitted stamps I found:


Ha, those are too cute. So I found out today that we might be getting another dog temporarily. Someone that the hubby works with had a Beagle that he couldn’t keep. Now T isn’t the only one in his office that works with the Beagle Rescue so we weren’t the only ones pissed when he gave the dog to the SPCA. The Beagle Rescue really wanted him. So they are going to go get him and might have already found him a home in New York. While he is waiting to go to New York he needs a foster home. He shouldn’t be woth us very long at all, they just need to get him out of the SPCA shelter. Poor guy, his whole world is getting turned upside down right now.

So it will be more chaos at my house for a while. I’m just glad that my time working at the store is almost over. Then things will calm down for us. I can’t wait…

-Michele-

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Why don't you wash the skein in SOAK or something similiar then hang it to dry (in skein). It's kind of a pain, BUT it might be worth it. The yarn is very pretty! Hope it helps! Good luck on "fostering" the pup!

twellve said...

maybe some nice lavender-scented eucalan wash? i agree with melissa, washing (gently) may be your best bet. that does 'stink' though. i bought a lot of yarn (too much) off destash last year and never had that problem.

great magic striped socks! i made some in 'lumberjack' for my dad last year. i like your colorway a bit better though.

wish i were in the US right about now. i had seen those stamps advertised online and wish i had some (or at least a reason to have some). sniff.

Mommyleek said...

Heh! You've been hanging around me too long. I tend to take in whatever wanders my way when it comes to animals. Glad you are doing a good thing for the poor dog. And hey, you might find that having a playmate keeps Diana out of your yarn... and everything else.

I second the idea of washing the yarn and then hanging it to dry. Might be the only way to get the smell out completely. And who could stand knitting with smelly yarn? Even vaguely smelly yarn.

Sorry about your disappointment, although the yarn is really pretty.

Kris said...

I would also try washing the yarn. I've had it help before. Otherwise, letting it spend sometime out is the sun can help as well.

The socks came out great!

Kris B said...

Add another one that thinks handwashing the skein might help.

Your Lion Brand socks came out lovely. I made some in the same colorway over a year ago and can tell you the yarn holds up well.

Unknown said...

What about sticking the yarn in a ziploc bag with a nice fabric softner sheet? That worked for me once.